Saturday, August 4, 2018

We walk into a family-friendly taproom

Ounces Taproom and Beer Garden, Seattle, Washington
“West Seattle has great beer bars, but not a lot with a great that list that’s family friendly. Why not create our own thing that checks all the boxes?”

Laurel, who owns Ounces Taproom and Beer Garden with her husband Andrew, was expanding on her answer to my question about what makes a good bar. She’d already told me that for her, the overall experience “from the time you walk in,” is important for a good bar. They were working in the corporate world, and to relieve stress, they visited a lot of local breweries trying to find just the right place.

They decided to make a place that had what they were looking for: friendly staff, lots of options on tap, an overall well-rounded experience. And for National IPA Day this past Thursday, they substituted free hot dogs for the usual food trucks (there was still a truck presence, though. Amazon’s Treasure Truck made an appearance just before the hot dogs were ready, and people who’d come for the day’s special buy stayed for a drink and a dog.)

While Andrew grilled the dogs, Laurel filled the buns and chatted with customers. When one man asked how much, she told him the hot dogs were free. He wondered if tipping was possible, and she pointed him toward the tip jar inside the taproom. During a lull, I asked Laurel what she thought would make a good church.

“I would imagine it’s the same kind of community,” she said. “The conversation’s a little different, maybe.”

More people came to get hot dogs, so I thanked her and told Dean I was going inside to talk to the woman who’d taken our drink orders. I’d been looking forward to asking her our questions since I saw her praising a small child for being so polite while ordering milk. (Milk seemed to be a popular choice for pairing with hot dogs. I’d heard at least one other kid order it while I waited).

Sarah only had a moment between customers, but she told me that a good bar was “totally wherever you feel comfortable.” She said she didn’t go to church, “so I don’t know on that.”

Dean had ordered lemonade; I had rose, and Bret had The Brute, a hard apple cider from Alter Ego in Portland. Sarah let us taste P51 Peanut Butter Cup porter from Wingman Brewers in Tacoma, too, and I had to admit it was better with hot dogs than rose.

Families with little kids weren’t the only customers. I recognized a few people who’d gotten off the bus from downtown Seattle with me. Bike riders and dog walkers stopped by, and some people seem to have come through the handy gate leading to a neighborhood just downhill from the taproom.

Laurel said they do a lot of one-off events, like the customer appreciation hot dogs we enjoyed, as well as providing space for a rotation of food trucks, various bike rides, weekly trivia nights, and other community based events. As one guy said as he tried to decide what to order, “So many choices!”

It was impressive to visit a bar that truly had something for everyone.
























No comments:

Post a Comment